CMS Connection and Submission
In order to access the CMS Payroll-Based Journal you will require two accounts:
1. CMSNet User ID to access secure CMS sites. To request this account, visit: CMSNet Online Registration.
2. QIES Submission ID to access the Payroll-Based Journal and CASPER Reporting websites. When you register for a CMSNet User ID, you will be emailed instructions to connect to the “CMS Secure Access Service”. Once securely connected, select the “CMS QIES Systems for Providers” link to access the QIES online “User Registration” tool.
For more information, please visit https://www.qtso.com/accesspbj.html
Logging into the CMS Payroll-Based Journal is a multi-step process:
- 1. Go to the QTSO submission access page: https://www.qtso.com/submissions/submissions.html. Click on your state and follow the prompts.
- 2. Enter your CMS Secure Access Service account username and password. This will connect you to the CMS network allowing you access to their private websites (including PBJ).
- 3. The QIES System webpage will be displayed. Click on the PBJ Submissions link.
- 4. Enter your PBJ user id and password. This is a different account then you used for CMS Secure Access Service.
Uploading a CMS PBJ XML file is a multi-step process:
- 1. Make sure your zipped XML is in a local folder since the CMS Secure Access Service will disconnect network drives.
- 2. Connect to the CMS Secure Access Service and then navigate to the PBJ system (more info above).
- 3. Once you’re in the PBJ system, click the Upload Data File menu item.
- 4. Select the Federal Fiscal Quarter. Make sure you select the Federal Fiscal Quarter and not the regular calendar quarter.
- 5. Click Browse… and select your zipped XML file.
- 6. Click the Upload File button
- 7. Write down or print the Submission ID.
- 8. Review the PBJ Final File Validation Report from the CASPER Reporting system.
The facility ID is NOT the Medicare ID, Medicaid ID, CCN or NPI.
The facility ID is a unique identifier assigned to the provider by the state agency.
CMS has published an Excel spreadsheet listing all CMS Facility IDs. To access the spreadsheet, connect to the CMS QIES System for providers and click on the Look Up Facility ID link (just below the PBJ Submissions link).