CMS Publishes V2 of PBJ Technical Specs
The following PBJ Submission Specifications are now available under the Downloads section of CMS' Payroll Based Journal page:
• PBJ 1.0 Submission Specs V1.00.0 for the October 1, 2015 Release
• PBJ 2.0 Submission Specs V2.00.0 for the June 26, 2016 Release
The submission specs consist of the following technical information:
1. PBJ data specs PDF files ZIP – Full data spec report and the unduplicated edits report, as well as the Overview document.
2. PBJ data dictionary ZIP – The Access database used to maintain the items and edits, as well as generate the reports.
3. PBJ data specs CSV files ZIP – Comma-separated value (CSV) files of the items and item values.
4. PBJ data specs HTML files ZIP – Set of HTML files that can be used to navigate the items and edits in a browser.
5. PBJ data specs XML and XSD files ZIP – Sample PBJ XML submission file and its associated XSD file for performing some of the validations in the specs.
Questions regarding the PBJ Data Specifications should be directed to NursingHomePBJTechIssues@cms.hhs.gov. Software developers or vendors that provide services such as automated payroll or time and attendance systems that will support electronic submissions should use this address. In an effort to serve you better, we are offering voluntary vendor registration at https://www.qtso.com/vendor/post.php. This information will be used to contact you with important PBJ news, updates, and conference call information.
Please note that CMS may not provide an individualized response to each inquiry; however, CMS will address all applicable issues and comments through Open Door Forums, training sessions, vendor calls, or updates to the information provided on this page.
What's New - January 15, 2016
The PBJ 2.0 Data Submission Specifications Version 2.00.0 package is now available in the download section below. These specifications go into effect on June 26, 2016. Please note the new Item Change and Edit Change Reports, which describe which data items and edits have changed since Version 1.00.1. Also, please read the Overview carefully - as it describes the submission process and provides examples of the data layout expected in PBJ XML submission files.
December 14, 2015
The Payroll Based Journal (PBJ) Software Developer/Vendor Call details are as follows:
Wednesday January 27, 2016
Call In Information: 1-866-458-4949
Participant Code: 652 03 308 #
Time: 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. (ET)
August 27, 2015
Updated Information for PBJ Electronic Staffing Data Submission
The following documents are now available in the “Downloads” section below:
- “PBJ QTSO Registration and Training 8-4-15”: Instructions on how to register for voluntary submission and other PBJ training information. Registration is OPEN and ALL Long-term Care facilities are encouraged to register for the voluntary submission period beginning October 1, 2015.
- “PBJ Policy Manual DRAFT (V1.1) 8-25-15”: The draft policy manual has been updated to reflect recent changes to submission guidelines. Changes are indicated in red text.
- “PBJ Policy Manual FAQ 8-25-15”: A list of frequently asked questions and answers about PBJ instructions and policies.
PBJ Data Specifications V1.00.1 Errata Document
An updated PBJ Errata Version 1.00.1 for the PBJ Data Submission Specifications Version 1.00.0 is now available in the download section below. Eleven changes are identified in the errata, including items 1-8 that were added on 5/28/2015 and items 9-11 that were added on 8/20/2015.